Carol’s Technology Integration Blog

Technology Integration Block Plan

• Objectives/Goals: While understanding the necessary SOL goals, the student will also gain an understanding of how to participate in pre-reading, how to assess whether or not a source is useful or applicable, and how to determine whether or not a source is primary or secondary.
  • USI.6  The student will demonstrate knowledge of the causes and results of the American Revolution by
    • a)  identifying the issues of dissatisfaction that led to the American Revolution;
    • b)  identifying how political ideas shaped the revolutionary movement in America and led to 
the Declaration of Independence.

Day One:

• Technology implemented:  Classroom doc cam and glog site.
  •  Activities:  For the beginning of class the smart board will be projecting a review question that the students are required to answer in their notebooks.  Then the class will be directed to a sample of the glogster website.  Lastly, the student will be taught about primary and secondary sources using the doc cam.
  • Rationale : the doc cam is the best form of technology in this scenario because it enables the students to view the documents on the screen instead of having to look them up or passing around a bunch of papers.  Similarly, the glogster website enables students to create an interactive poster board without needing the necessary supplies for creating a real poster board.
  • Materials/Resources:  A Smart Board and a projector will be needed to display the images and demonstrate the features of glogster.  A doc cam will be needed for projecting the documents for the students to view.
  • Assessment:  The student will be assessed on their interaction when using the doc cam.  After defining a “primary and secondary” source, there will be a time where I as the teacher display a document while they are assigned to writing down whether or not it is primary or secondary.  At the end of the week, the students will present their glog to the class and this will assess their understanding of the Revolutionary war.

Day Two:

• Objectives/Goals:  While reaching the SOL material, the student will also learn successful tactics to practice while reading a historical document or assignment.
the Declaration of Independence.

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

Introducing the topic of the American Revolution by explaining what led up to the rebellion of the colonists.  Use video clips in order for the students to visualize the issues of the stamp act. Discuss the political ideas that shaped the revolution itself.  Use the doc cam to display parts of the Declaration of Independence. Students will present their glog sites to the classroom on the topic of the causes of the American Revolution.

Annotated Resource List:

1.  http://moodleshare.com/

This website provides a number of files that can be useful in a classroom setting such as one attachment which explains “Developing Content for Mobile Devices.”  Using iPhones or iTouch devices interests me when thinking about using technology for learning.  Another part of the moodleshare that I thought could be useful is that a teacher can create his or her own username and can interact with other teachers by sharing ideas.  That could be useful if you had used a specific programing device, like a Wi remote, to project something that you could share with other teachers seeking new ideas.

2.  http://www.qedoc.org/en/index.php?title=Main_Page

Qedoc is a website that contains a number of journal articles and resources that are useful for specific content areas.  I thought this website would be useful for me specifically in the fact that I teach history and there is research involved in every type of history course.  This resource could be one possible way to show students an example of a non scholarly article and a scholarly one and how to decide between a good source and a bad one.

3.  http://videolectures.net/

A resource of hundreds of educational videos that are well organized and easily accessible.  I would use this as a teacher to demonstrate cultural features when teaching about a specific people group.  For example, there are videos of people living out their lives in their country and that would be perfect for a geography class.  It also contains news clips and interviews which would be useful for teaching a government or civics course.

4.  https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos?landing_page=General+Teacher+Videos+Landing+Page&gclid=COqG7KCppLECFUXc4AodbRAhfg

The teaching channel is a great source where teachers have provided feedback and ideas in video format.  Some also include notes or activities that worked or did not work for them.  A number of the videos are from Elementary school teachers but I could still see that these tips could be useful for secondary teachers as well.  I would use this website for my own personal use in order to get inspiration and interesting outlooks on things.

Glog Link:  http://carolkillian.edu.glogster.com/botetourt-county-7964/

Movie:

Hammocking: Yesterday and Today

How I would use the Doc Cam in my classroom:

When studying the different technology tools that can be used in the classroom, I found the doc cam to be the most practical in my classroom.  My thoughts for using the doc cam would be for displaying primary source documents from books or articles that cannot be easily accessed online.  This would be useful in the fact that the whole class would have visual access to a primary document and would be able to comprehend the differences between primary and secondary sources.